Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v8

On Tue, May 08, 2007, Esben Nielsen wrote:

> This is contrary to C99 standeard annex H2.2
> (http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1124.pdf):
>
> "An implementation that defines signed integer types as also being modulo
> need
> not detect integer overflow, in which case, only integer divide-by-zero need
> be detected."
>
> So if it doesn't properly defines wrapping it has to detect integer
> overflow, right?

No. Annex H (informative!) only talks about LIA-1 conformance.

C99 isn't LIA-1 conformant. H2.2 describes what an implementation
might do to make signed integers LIA-1 compatible, which is
what gcc does with -fwarpv or -ftrapv.

At least that's how I understand it, the C99 standard
seems to have been written with the "it was hard to
write, so it should be hard to read" mindset. :-/

I still don't know _why_ signed integer overflow behaviour
isn't defined in C. It just goes against everyones expectation
and thus causes bugs.

Johannes