Re: Need help debugging RT-preempt patch

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 11:47 -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
> I've applied patch-2.6.21-rt1 to a 2.6.21 kernel I'm using.
> With the patch applied, but no RT-Preempt options enabled,
> I'm getting network failures (eth0 transmit timeouts) on
> an OMAP board.

Are you sure you don't have HardIRQS in Threads enabled? Also are you
sure the kernel boots without the rt patch applied.

> I'm not sure what the best method is to debug this.  Should
> I turn on the latency tracer?  Should I post my configuration?
> Should I try to break up the patch and apply changes in small doses?
> I'm not familiar with the network code, or with the RT code (yet),
> so for now I'm kind of stumbling in the dark.
>
> Note that I have other patches applied, for platform support
> for the OMAP.
>
> I believe ARM (or OMAP) is not supported by the RT-preempt patch
> at the moment.  But I'd like to carry the patches in my kernel even
> if the options for RT-preempt are off, because I want to experiment
> with RT-preempt on other platforms (x86 and MIPS).

ARM is supported, but specific boards are hit or miss..

I've had OMAP working _in the past_ with this patch applied,

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/10/59

There was also a patch released on one of the OMAP lists a while back
from Dirk Behme to get OMAP working on a mor recent rt release..

Daniel