Re: Please pull 'libertas' branch of wireless-2.6

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 11:41 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 05:21:40AM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Umm, I can't remember the updated driver ever beeig posted for review.
> > And to be honest I'd be surprised if it's in a good shape already.
>
> Of course it's not anywhere near good shape.  Almost all items from my
> review were completely ignored, and we have another totoally substandard
> wireless driver with crappy thread handling, a huge number of broken private
> ioctls and partially absymal codingstyle.

 - things like 11d.[ch] don't have business of being in a driver,
   this should be somewhere in common code.

There is no common code for this.  mac80211 will eventually grow a
utility library that libertas will hopefully be able to attach to.

 - please get rid of the ENTER/LEAVE macros

People have said that many drivers do this, and it's quite useful for
debugging.

 - please get rid of all your private ioctls and iwpriv stuff
   (should I add !!!! here)

Any ioctls that have equivalents in WEXT or ethtool can certainly be
removed.  Mesh ones like fwt_reset, bt_reset, mesh_get_ttl, etc have no
current equivalents and will need to stick around.  I've already removed
all the ones that were relevant for WPA and moved them to standard WEXT
calls.

 - most of types.h should not be there but you should be using
   the types from include/linux/*80211*

I've already updated libertas-2.6 git with a ton of updates for this.

In any case, lets push off any merge until 2.6.23 so the rest of the
comments can be dealt with:

 - the __le* annotation issue you mentioned in the mail is important.
 - there shouldn't be a LICENSE file in individual driver directories,
   especially if it's just plain old GPLv2.
 - please get rid of setting -DFOO flags in the Makefile, just use
   these directly as config symbols.
 - there shouldn't be a README file in the driver directory, this
   should be in Documentation/
 - please don't use wlan_* foo types.  a) this should be structs, not
   typedefs, and b) wlan is an utterly generic name for beeing inside
   a driver.
 - there seems to be lots of tabs vs spaces messups
 - there's an awful lot of headers without clear divided
responsibilities,
   there should be only a few ones left (internal interfaces and hw
   interface basically)
 - having lowercase names for lots of hw commands is a very bad idea
   for readability
 - etc

Dan