Re: VMware, x86_64 and 2.6.21.

> > > if you want to ask questions about proprietary kernel stuff you're
> > > better off asking the vendor directly, not lkml
> >
> > I did, but given that it the failure only appeared with a change of
> > vanilla kernel version, I didn't think it was out of place to ask here
> > too.
>
> No, it's still totally offtopic here.

And a change of vanilla kernel version leading to breakage is not a
sufficient condition to conclude the kernel's at fault. The entire history
of computing is saturated with examples of coders doing stupid things with
foolish assumptions and incidental interfaces of operating systems (early
games on *-DOS being a prime example) that are subsequently broken by new
versions of the operating system. That's programs being stupid, not the
operating system.