Re: VMware, x86_64 and 2.6.21.

Eric W. Biederman wrote:

Is this linux running on vmware or vmware running on linux?

VMware running on Linux.

This sounds like playing with fire.  Although I suppose you could do it generally
by making software irqs trigger a general protection fault.

Better if you don't have to; the whole point of the swirq is faster handling.

What we currently have is: int assign_irq_vector(int irq, cpumask_t);

It has a number of interesting properties such as you can change
the vector assignment at runtime, and we can migrate the irq
between cpus.

Yes, but still not enough here.

That is pretty much the architecture we have to support msi.  Although
irq != vector not even at a fixed offset.

It doesn't look like you can safely allocate an exclusive IRQ here however - the IO-APIC could always route a hardware IRQ for the matching vector right on top of you unless, I'm misreading something.

Zach