Per-CPU data as a structure

Hello,

At the moment, data specific to a CPU is stored in different, fixed- size separate arrays by means of the "percpu framework". I'm working on some changes to modify the way some CPUs are represented, and I'm wondering what's the rationale behind such a representation.

At first sight, it'd seem more reasonable to have a structure holding all the information that is CPU-specific (as is done with any object represented within the system). After searching the mail archives, I see that similar changes were proposed before, but those threads did not seem to get any reply (so I'm assuming that the changes were not desired).

Similarly, and if I understood it correctly, the PDA (Per-processor Data Area) also aims to do the above, but at the moment it only contains some fields and is not defined in all platforms. There are still a lot of usages of the percpu functionality (such as, e.g., in kernel/sched.c).

Part of my changes introduce a new structure that is able to represent any kind of CPU (and which each platform can extend to add new information to it). It is supposed to supersede the per-cpu definitions. I bet this could also be redone by using percpu in some way... The thing is I am willing to share my work when I've finished it (it is still very much work-in-progress), but first I'm interested to know if adding this new structure is a crazy idea (meaning I should stick to percpu wherever possible) or something that can be accepted later on.

Summarizing, my questions are:
- Why is the code currently using multiple separate arrays (percpu)
  to hold CPU information instead of a structure?
- Could this structure-based approach (instead of all these separate
  arrays) be considered for inclusion into the system?

As far as I can tell, the advantage of percpu is that you can define new "fields" anywhere in the code and independently from the rest of the system. Also, I seem to understand that there are performance advantages related to this. But on the other hand, percpu seems like an unnatural approach to "reimplement" regular structures.

Thank you very much.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <[email protected]>