Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v8

Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
I briefly went thr' the paper and my impression is it expect each task
to specify the length of each new request it initiates. Is that correct?
No, the timeslice l_i here serves as a granularity control w.r.t responsiveness (or latency depends on how you interpret it). As wli said it can be express as a function of the priority, as we do for weight now. It is not related with the length of each new request. A request may be 1 seconds long, but the scheduler may still process it using 10ms timeslice. Smaller timeslice leads to more accuracy, i.e. closer to ideal case. However, the maximum of timeslice l_i used by all active tasks determines the total responsiveness of the system, which I will explain in detail later.
There is also p->wait_runtime which is taken into account when
calculating p->fair_key. So if p3 had waiting in runqueue for long
before, it can get to run quicker than 10ms later.
Consider if p3 is a newly started task or waked up task and carries no p->wait_runtime.

Ting