Re: Ext3 vs NTFS performance

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 04:38:55PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >	I think we mostly have consensus on a calling convention which
> >all of the architectures (s390, power, arm, ia64, etc.); of course
> >then we will need to get glibc to support the new system call.
>
> glibc has had support for a while, in emulated form:
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0004.1/1153.html
>
> So when kernel support arrives, it should be easy and (hopefully)
> seamless to plug in the new syscall.

Yep.  Although unfortunately given where we are in distro release
cycles (and I'm not sure where glibc is in its release cycle), it'll
probably be a year or so before most users will see the benefits.  So
it would be nice if we can get samba using the fallocate() support
now, in the hopes that we can get all of the pieces aligned in time
for the next major enterprise distro releases.

						- Ted