Re: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans: slub

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > This is a sensitive piece of the kernel as you say and we better allow the
> > running of two allocator for some time to make sure that it behaves in all
> > load situations. The design is fundamentally different so its performance
> > characteristics may diverge significantly and perhaps there will be corner
> > cases for each where they do the best job.
>
> eek.  We'd need to fix those corner cases then.  Our endgame
> here really must be rm mm/slab.c.

First we need to discover them and I doubt that mm covers much more than
development loads. I hope we can get to a point where we have SLUB be
the primarily allocator soon but I would expect various performance issues
to show up.

On the other hand: I am pretty sure that SLUB can replace SLOB completely
given SLOBs limitations and SLUBs more efficient use of space. SLOB needs
8 bytes of overhead. SLUB needs none. We may just have to #ifdef out the
debugging support to make the code be of similar size to SLOB too. SLOB is
a general problem because its features are not compatible to SLAB. F.e. it
does not support DESTROY_BY_RCU and does not do reclaim the right way etc
etc. SLUB may turn out to be the ideal embedded slab allocator.