Re: [RFC BUG?] dereference PAGE_OFFSET address (rc7-mm2)

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:16:27AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Sounds reasonable.
> However there is no reason to suspect it won't fix this case because
> unconditional writes are what we have always done, and we have always
> kept swapper_pg_dir from early boot as well.
> In essence my patch I sent out to Andi was a partial revert.

It would not be so far out to be aware of what pagetable entries were
carried over from the initial swapper_pg_dir and explicitly clobber
them (for instance, modifying their protection bits while otherwise
retaining them).

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:16:27AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> It isn't slated to go in until nextround but I also rewrote the early
> page table setup in C.  Allowing set_fixmap to work in the early
> kernel, and fix problems of not having enough memory mapped to build
> the identity mappings, because we are then updating the page table
> we have also in the PAE case.

I'm not sure when we run into those problems, though I understand what
they are. I suppose it would be good to resolve them.

-- wli