Re: [git patches] libata updates

Jesse Barnes wrote:

On Monday, April 30, 2007 1:22 pm Stephen Clark wrote:
Please don't do this!

Yeah the kernel will boot but the hd performance is sh*t on my
laptop. I am running FC6 with
kernel 2.6.21 and without the combined_mode setting my disk
performance goes down to a
whopping 1.25mb/sec from 44mb/sec when I boot with
combined_mode=libata. It make my
system unusable!

So your performance is good when you add combined_mode=libata? I hope so, because that's why I added it in the first place...

However, Jeff's patch won't steal your performance as long as you make sure you use the libata based drivers for everything. If you're running Fedora I think the rawhide kernels are configured this way, but the fc6 era kernels aren't.

Jesse

I'm running fc6 but with kernel 2.6.21 from kernel.org - compiled with the .config file from fc6.

My system is a asus laptop with an ich7 chipset which has both sata and pata controllers. My laptop only brings out the pata controller interface and both my hd and od are on the second
channel of the pata.

So can I configure out the old ide and just have ata_piix automatically control them both in
2.6.21?

Thanks,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)