Re: condingstyle, was Re: utrace comments

On 5/1/07, David Woodhouse <[email protected]> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 08:05 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> I prefer this format also, but I'm not sure that we can get it
> into CodingStyle.  CodingStyle is about (either) concensus or
> dictum, but I don't see us close to concensus...

Yes, some of these styles are too personal and subjective to even try
and standardize. And then often even the same person doesn't follow a
single convention across his own code. More likely you'd succeed
standardizing *religion* than this ...

CodingStyle is mostly about consensus. We don't have a consensus, which
is why this particular stuff isn't specified in CodingStyle. :)

Actually, I'm not sure if we really gain much by finding consensus for
this particular stuff. Most compound conditions only contain upto 3-4
operators/expressions, so most of the styles discussed here would be
almost equally readable. And any code that goes beyond 3-4
operators/expressions is probably ugly in many other ways and needs to
fix its logic.