Re: pcmcia ioctl removal

Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 12:12:36PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On May 1 2007 05:16, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
on the other hand, the features removal file contains the following:

What:   PCMCIA control ioctl (needed for pcmcia-cs [cardmgr, cardctl])
When:   November 2005

in other words, the PCMCIA ioctl feature *has* been listed as obsolete
for quite some time, and is already a *year and a half* overdue for
removal.

in short, it's annoying to take the position that stuff can't be
deleted without warning, then turn around and be reluctant to remove
stuff for which *more than ample warning* has already been given.
doing that just makes a joke of the features removal file, and makes
you wonder what its purpose is in the first place.

a little consistency would be nice here, don't you think?
I think this could raise their attention...

init/Makefile
obj-y += obsolete.o

init/obsolete.c:
static __init int obsolete_init(void)
{
	printk("\e[1;31m""

The following stuff is gonna get removed \e[5;37m SOON: \e[0m
	- cardmgr
	- foobar
	- bweebol

");
	schedule_timeout(3 * HZ);
	return;
}

static __exit void obsolete_exit(void) {}

There's something I like here : the fact that all features are centralized
and not hidden in the noise. Clearly we need some standard inside the kernel
to manage obsolete code as well as we currently do by hand.

Willy

The difference between this function and the PCAP/TCPDUMP warning is that the warning only showed up when the obsolete functionality was actually used.

Maybe a mechanism to automatically increase the severity of reporting as the removal date approaches would be an idea? i.e. for each new kernel that you build leading up the the removal date, a severity is calculated based on the time until official removal, and then, depending on the severity, the message can be logged in various ways.

Rogan