Re: [REPORT] 2.6.21 vs. 2.6.21-sd046 vs. 2.6.21-CFSv7

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 03:58:45PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Followup: I reran with sd-0.46, setting rr_interval to 40, and then 5
> (default was 16). Neither appeared to give a useful video playback. I
> did try setting the make to nice 10, and that made the playback
> perfectly smooth, as well as response to skip forward and volume change
> happening when the key was pressed instead of eventually.
>
> I also tried raising the nice of X to -10, that made things better on
> display, but I winder if it will let X run ahead of the nice-0 raid threads.
>
> Is this my hardware or is there a really odd behavior here? The sd seems
> to be too fair to cope well with this realistic load, and expecting
> users to nice things is probably morally correct but unrealistic.

People have been reporting very good performance with regards to OpenGL
applications under SD. What is your video driver ? NVidia proprietary ?

OpenGL, X and direct frame buffer access (mplayer and friends) tend not
to interact each other which can result in very different scheduling
characteristics between them.

[please CC the relevant people for their own benefit]

bill