Re: Linux 2.6.21

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Ponder that, grasshopper. And until you can see that things are not
> "either-or", "black-and-white", "all or nothing", I don't think I really
> can have anything worthwhile to add in this discussion to you. People who
> think in absolutes are simply not worth talking to.

This is another case of "perfect is the enemy of good".

Tryng to reach perfect is not only guaranteed to fail, but trying to reach
it AND NOT REALIZING that it's stupid and wrong is actually much WORSE
than just trying to do a reasonable job.

And if you put some _totally_idiotic_ expectation that all bugreports can
be fixed, and should always be totally blocking, that's guaranteed to just
cause a totally unusuable bug reporting system.

And your bugzilla arguments seem to be exactly that. A naïve and totally
unrealistic expectation of "every bugreport is sacred" is BAD.

In other words: perfection not only isn't even possible, BUT IT IS NOT
EVEN WORTH TRYING TO REACH FOR!

			Linus