Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Critical points about kernel 2.6.21 and pseudo-authorities

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:06:11 +0200
Von: "Markus Rechberger" <[email protected]>
An: "Uwe Bugla" <[email protected]>
CC: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Betreff: Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Critical points about kernel 2.6.21 and pseudo-authorities

> [...]
> > a thousands of thanks for your friendly response - very nice! What a
> > pleasure!
> >
> > I do not send in the two patches for one more time. I have sent them in
> so
> > often!
> > If you take a closer look at the mailing list you will easily find them.
> >
> > One is a docu fix, and the other one, causing so much trouble out of
> nothing
> > but Chehab's stubbornness and incompetence, is the one that makes the
> two
> > DST modules
> > deselectable (i. e. DST itself for TwinHan DST and clones plus DST_CA
> for
> > TwinHan cards with CA slot and Pinnacle PCTV SAT cards with CI extension
> for
> > example).
> >
> > Chehab told me some crap about unresolved symbols which never existed as
> > this second patch just runs fine.
>
> > The compiler errors are the following:
> > WARNING: "dst_ca_attach" [drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko]
> undefined!
> > WARNING: "dst_attach" [drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko] undefined!
> > WARNING: "dvb_pll_configure" [drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko]
> undefined!
> > WARNING: "dvb_pll_lg_tdvs_h06xf" [drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko]
> undefined!
>
> > WARNING:
> /lib/modules/2.6.19-rc5/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko needs unknown symbol dst_attach
> > WARNING:
> /lib/modules/2.6.19-rc5/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko needs unknown symbol dst_ca_attach
> > WARNING:
> /lib/modules/2.6.19-rc5/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko needs unknown symbol dvb_pll_lg_tdvs_h06xf
> > WARNING:
> /lib/modules/2.6.19-rc5/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko needs unknown symbol dvb_pll_configure
>
> I just looked over the patches and Mauro's response shortly, Mauro
> just wrote that your patch leaves undefined symbols. That way Mauro
> won't commit any patches, nevermind if the patch comes from you or
> someone else.
>
> I'll have a closer look at what your patch causes tonight, afterwards
> I can say more about it.
> If these symbols aren't needed you might insert dummy functions which
> print that the real implementation isn't compiled into the kernel
> (dvb_attach does it that way)
>
> Some of your mails only contain 10% information about what you really
> want to solve please cut out the private abusive stuff. The people you
> judge here contributed alot during the last years, it probably
> wouldn't even be possible to compile the whole project that easy if
> these people wouldn't have done all that work for everyone.
>
> 2.6.21 won't be the last kernel out there, the right place to fix that
> problem is the v4l-dvb repository on linuxtv.org first.

Hi Markus,
Sure! BUT:

you again state that there ar obviously unresolved symbols
caused by my DST deselection patches.

Why then do I not get any? (And I told this Mauro a thousands of times that I do and did not get any)!
And I even sent him dmesg, config and absolutely everything he needs to
a. prove that my patches are OK
b. get deeper into it

But he simply ignored that, like a thesis repeating wall, some oracle, or some parrot!

Perhaps the relevant part of my 2.6.21.1 config will offer
some answer for this crucial question:

# Multimedia devices
#
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L2=y

#
# Video Capture Adapters
#

#
# Video Capture Adapters
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO is not set

#
# Encoders/decoders and other helper chips
#

#
# Audio decoders
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TVAUDIO is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TDA7432 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TDA9840 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TDA9875 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TEA6415C is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TEA6420 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MSP3400 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CS53L32A is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TLV320AIC23B is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_WM8775 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_WM8739 is not set

#
# Video decoders
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_BT819 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_BT856 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_BT866 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_KS0127 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_OV7670 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7110 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7111 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7114 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA711X is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7191 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_TVP5150 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_VPX3220 is not set

#
# Video and audio decoders
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CX25840 is not set

#
# MPEG video encoders
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CX2341X is not set

#
# Video encoders
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7127 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7185 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV7170 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV7175 is not set

#
# Video improvement chips
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_UPD64031A is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_UPD64083 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_VIVI is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848=m
# CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848_DVB is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA6588 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_BWQCAM is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CQCAM is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA2 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA5246A is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA5249 is not set
# CONFIG_TUNER_3036 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_STRADIS is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ZORAN is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7134 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MXB is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_DPC is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_HEXIUM_ORION is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_HEXIUM_GEMINI is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_CAFE_CCIC is not set

#
# V4L USB devices
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_EM28XX is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_USBVISION is not set
# CONFIG_USB_VICAM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_IBMCAM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_KONICAWC is not set
# CONFIG_USB_QUICKCAM_MESSENGER is not set
# CONFIG_USB_ET61X251 is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_OVCAMCHIP is not set
# CONFIG_USB_W9968CF is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OV511 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SE401 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SN9C102 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_STV680 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_ZC0301 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_PWC is not set

#
# Radio Adapters
#
# CONFIG_RADIO_GEMTEK_PCI is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_MAXIRADIO is not set
# CONFIG_RADIO_MAESTRO is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DSBR is not set

#
# Digital Video Broadcasting Devices
#
CONFIG_DVB=y
CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
CONFIG_DVB_CORE_ATTACH=y

#
# Supported SAA7146 based PCI Adapters
#
# CONFIG_DVB_AV7110 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET_CI is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET_AV is not set

#
# Supported USB Adapters
#
# CONFIG_DVB_USB is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TTUSB_BUDGET is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TTUSB_DEC is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_CINERGYT2 is not set

#
# Supported FlexCopII (B2C2) Adapters
#
# CONFIG_DVB_B2C2_FLEXCOP is not set

#
# Supported BT878 Adapters
#
CONFIG_DVB_BT8XX=m

#
# Customise DST support
#
CONFIG_DVB_DST_CUSTOMISE=y
# CONFIG_DVB_DST is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_DST_CA is not set

#
# Supported Pluto2 Adapters
#
# CONFIG_DVB_PLUTO2 is not set

#
# Supported DVB Frontends
#

#
# Customise DVB Frontends
#
CONFIG_DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE=y

#
# DVB-S (satellite) frontends
#
# CONFIG_DVB_STV0299 is not set
CONFIG_DVB_CX24110=m
# CONFIG_DVB_CX24123 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TDA8083 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_MT312 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_VES1X93 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_S5H1420 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TDA10086 is not set

#
# DVB-T (terrestrial) frontends
#
# CONFIG_DVB_SP8870 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_SP887X is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_CX22700 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_CX22702 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_L64781 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TDA1004X is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_NXT6000 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_MT352 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_ZL10353 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_DIB3000MB is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_DIB3000MC is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_DIB7000M is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_DIB7000P is not set

#
# DVB-C (cable) frontends
#
# CONFIG_DVB_VES1820 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TDA10021 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_STV0297 is not set

#
# ATSC (North American/Korean Terrestrial/Cable DTV) frontends
#
# CONFIG_DVB_NXT200X is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_OR51211 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_OR51132 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_BCM3510 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_LGDT330X is not set

#
# Tuners/PLL support
#
# CONFIG_DVB_TDA826X is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TUNER_QT1010 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TUNER_MT2060 is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_TUNER_LGH06XF is not set

I swear I did not even produce ONE unresolved symbol!
I use cx24110, I use CONFIG_DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE=y, I use CONFIG_DVB_BT8XX=m,
I use CONFIG_DVB_CORE_ATTACH=y, AND I use my self built additions like

CONFIG_DVB_DST_CUSTOMISE=y
# CONFIG_DVB_DST is not set
# CONFIG_DVB_DST_CA is not set

And I swear that this dvb-pll.c is completely obsolete for this scenario!
For that reason (old variant):
# CONFIG_DVB_TUNER_LGH06XF is not set

And this old variant was NOT done by Trent Piepho, it was NOT done by Andrew Quincey,
but it was produced by Michael Krufky himself, and I was very thankful for that and still am!

So where the hell do these unresolved symbols come from, if I did not get even ONE????
AND, in so far, how should I correct something whose hidden cause I cannot see, as my
scenario DOES NOT produce any unresolved symbols??

May be your configuration differs from mine, and that is where the pain is!
But please do not waste time if there is no reason for it.

Is it in the end another frontend except the cx24110 whose
activation causes those unresolved symbols?

Are there different frontends in the end except cx24110 that need those dst attachments?

If yes, which frontends are the relevant ones?
See, Markus, either noone knows, or the Manuel Abraham primadonna refuses to answer once again. This is the hopeless situation that I am talking about - incredible!

In so far a very sophisticated team leader who knows about this all in general terms would be a necessity for the personnel @linuxtv.org.

Gerd Knorr was doing that job very fine - I swear I never had any trouble with him! Not even once!
He was communicative, he was technically excellent, he was just incredibly fine!

Now if yes, I always stated that I do not owe a whole bunch of testing cards.

If yes I suppose this whole dvb_attach issue is just another big, buggy and half-boiled chaos.

And why the hell is that dvb-pll.c rollback part of git2 now?
Additionally - with the acknowlegdement of Michael Krufky - incredible!

Cheers and a thousands of thanks for your pain

Uwe