Re: CFQ IO scheduler patch series - AIM7 DBase results on a 16-way IA64

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Mon, Apr 30 2007, Alan D. Brunelle wrote:
The results from a single run of an AIM7 DBase load on a 16-way ia64 box (64GB RAM + 144 FC disks) showed a slight regression (~0.5%) by adding in this patch. (Graph can be found at http://free.linux.hp.com/~adb/cfq/cfq_dbase.png ) It is only a single set of runs, on a single platform, but it is something to keep an eye on as the regression showed itself across the complete run.

Do you know if this regression is due to worse IO performance, or
increased system CPU usage?

Unfortunately, the runs generate different X points - I'm going to try and get a second run with the same X-points, and then I can compare iostat results (these are being collected).

I do have some iostat data from these runs, and I am trying to make sense of them. But, with only about a 0.5% difference in performance, and different X values, not much can be gleaned. We'll see when the second run of a kernel can be done, and I'll get back to you on that.

Alan