Re: can a kmalloc be both GFP_ATOMIC and GFP_KERNEL at the same time?

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> GFP_ATOMIC implies that the memory comes from the zones which
> >> GFP_KERNEL also uses.  So the above usage of GFP_KERNEL is redundant
> >> and should be removed.
> >
> >hang on ... based on an email i just got, is that reference to
> >GFP_KERNEL "redundant" or "conflicting"?  big difference there.  and
> >is the proper fix to remove "GFP_KERNEL" in both cases?
>
> include/linux/gfp.h:
> #define GFP_ATOMIC (__GFP_HIGH)
> #define GFP_KERNEL (__GFP_WAIT | __GFP_IO | __GFP_FS)
>
> So combining GFP_ATOMIC with GFP_KERNEL gives you
> "allow io, allow fs, allow waiting, and use emergency pools when it's getting
> tight"
> which to me looks like a valid, but probably unwanted combination.

... snip ...

at this point, maybe i'll just leave this in the hands of those who
know far more about it than i do.  but, while we're here, are there
any *other* combinations that wouldn't make any sense?  might as well
check for those in my cleanup script as well.

rday

p.s.  as a suggestion that borders on overkill, one could always add a
configuration debugging option that, when set, compiles code into
kmalloc() that does a sanity check on its type flag arguments.