Re: [ck] Re: Best nice level for X with SD

Am Freitag 27 April 2007 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Freitag 27 April 2007 schrieb Con Kolivas:
> > Clearly there are some serious regressions for audio playback with
> > CFS. This is incredible effort to go to with CFS.
>
> Hi Con!
>
> Well, at least on my two ThinkPads T42 and T23.
>
> I perceive sd-0.46 as more mature as CFSv6. And if asked to include one
> of them in the kernel *right now* or *soonish*, I would probably choose
> sd-0.46 and give Ingo a bit more time.

Hi!

I tried cfs-v7 where Ingo fixed a 'big bug' he found while looking at the
debug data I provided to him.

Well, its rocking now on both my Amarok machine, the T23, and the T42.
Absolutely smooth music playback, no matter what. No freezes anymore
whatsoever.

Even when stress testing with my usual naive user tests, having make-kpkg
linux_image running, starting tons of apps and solid moving Amarok window
like mad - that was on my T23.  On my T42 I repeated that Kaffeine test,
playing a video with it, while moving the window like mad, no complete
freezes anymore...

Congrats, Ingo! cfs-v7 is rocking now ;-).

Tested on 2.6.21.1 with sws2 2.2.9.13, dynticks and CONFIG_HZ=300 as the
older kernels I tested with.

That is without X renicing just like I run sd-0.46 as well.

Now it seems that I have *two* schedulers to choose from. ;-) I am
satisfied with both sd-0.46 and cfs-v7 now.

Actually cfs-v7 feels a bit smoother for me now. Thats nothing concrete at
the moment, nothing I can get a hold of it.  cfs-v7 just feels a bit
smoother to me.

Will do some longer term testing with cfs-v7 now.

Regards,