Re: Why ask Sun for ZFS while we have ReiserFS4 !?

On Apr 30 2007 02:18, Andrew Wang wrote:

>ZFS has some nice features, but ReiserFS4 also is a
>good file system.
>
>Why do we want Sun to release ZFS under GPL, while
>ReiserFS4 is already available under GPL!?

Do we?

>I know that ReiserFS4 breaks Linux coding standards.
>However, even if Sun releases ZFS under GPL, we still
>need to port it to the Linux kernel.
>
>I think for those who ask/beg Sun to release ZFS under
>GPL should do the work to get ReiserFS4 to Linux!

It's already there for Linux. It's just that you have to
merge it yourself.

RR:
Some people have different opinions about what constitutes
a good filesystem. One half goes with ext, the other with
<CENSORED>, mainly because "it works" for them, has "proven
to be stable enough", "<CENSORED> has not proven to be
stable", or perhaps just out of fs beliefs/conviction.
I myself would not 'want' either zfs or r4 at this time,
and there's even an objective reason behind it.

Jan