Re: Back to the future.

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Saturday, 28 April 2007 20:32, David Lang wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:

We freeze user space processes for the reasons that you have quoted above.

Why we freeze kernel threads in there too is a good question, but not for me to
answer.  I don't know.  Pavel should know, I think.

We do not want kernel threads running:

a) they may hold some locks and deadlock suspend

b) they may do some writes to disk, leading to corruption

We could solve a) by carefully auditing suspend lock usage to make
sure deadlocks are impossible even with kernel threads running.

remember that we are doing suspend-to-disk, after we do the snapshot we will be
doing a shutdown. that should simplify the locking issues

That's assuming that we won't need to cancel the hibernation.

true, but if we cancel the hibernation then why are the locks an issue? they are appropriate for the system state.

David Lang