Re: 2.6.21 known regressions (v2) (for -stable team)

On Saturday 28 April 2007, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
>Hi Gene,
>
>On 28/04/07, Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Saturday 28 April 2007, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >Here is a list of known regressions reported after 2.6.21 release.
>> >
>> >Feel free to add new regressions/remove fixed etc.
>> >http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions
>>
>> I went here, but without a login the page is immutable
>>
>> Therefore I'll add it here
>>
>> Subject         :proprietary belkin upsd turns into cpu hog
>
>I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Is it a proprietary driver?
>If so, it's not a task for -stable team.
>
>> Submitter       :[email protected]
>> Reference       :something changed in how /dev/ttyUSB's handle 1 and 2
>> byte messages from pl2303 usb<->serial adaptors.  Also, assignation of
>> ttyUSB#'s is volatile depending on phase of the moon when booted.
>
>Regards,
>Michal

I'm not sure if my use of that should be dismissed out of hand because its
proprietary, the point being that the pl2303 driver seems to have
deteriorated over the last month or so to the point that now neither of my
pl2303 cables is working, while the FTDI adaptor I put in the heyu path a
month ago is working just fine.  I do have another FTDI cable too, but I need
to get an extension for it, 10" overall just won't reach the ups so its not
yet tested.

Up until this boot to 2.6.21-cfs-v7, I could usually make that proprietary
upsd driver daemon work if I killed it, reconfigured it to use whatever port
it got at this bootup, kill it, restart it etc and eventually it would settle
down to 0.0% cpu, and work fine.  Today I had to swap ports in both its
config and in heyu's after the reboot.  heyu is fine now, but the pl2303 is
totally, can't even cat the 1 or 2 bytes a second worth of data that should
be coming from it, dead.

Hence, I'm pointing my personal finger of blame at the pl2303 driver, which
I've noted has been touched a couple of times recently.

In this case, no other change in the kernel config, just swapped the sd046
patch for the cfs-v7 patch, installed and rebooted.

I started having trouble with this in the middle (roughly) of the 2.6.21-rc
series.
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)