Re: Back to the future.

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> And then you'll have people wonder why the server which sent out all
> those files has no log entries. You'd have to selectively unfreeze user
> space, which is a cure worse than the desease.
>
> Simply throwing away user space work is a bug. And no, you cannot say that
> it'll be redone away, as you are throwing away accepted input, too.

It's not a bug, it's a feature =). While I totally agree with you that for
the common case, you probably do want to avoid work in the userspace after
taking the snapshot, it is something that should be solved separately.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a snapshot, doing some work,
and then resuming to the snapshot and thus "losing" some the work (this
is useful for debugging, for example).

				Pekka