Re: Back to the future.

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Friday, 27 April 2007 14:49, Pavel Machek wrote:

I think this is very similar to current uswsusp design; except that we
are using read on /dev/snapshot to read the snapshot (not memory
mapping) and that we freeze the system

Yes, it seems so.

(because I do not think killall _SIGSTOP is enough).

remember, this is being done inside the kernel. the kernel can do things like saving off the scheduler queue to prevent any userspace from running during the snapshot, it could then move selected pids over to a new queue to selectivly 'unfreeze' whatever you need (like the X processes for example) and then proceed normally (allowing processes to be spawned, forked, etc without activiating the rest of userspace becouse the rest just won't be available to be scheduled) and userspace can tell the kernel the list of pids to unfreeze so the kernel doesn't need to try and guess.

David Lang