Re: [ext3][kernels >= 2.6.20.7 at least] KDE going comatose when FS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Andreas Dilger wrote:
It's true that this is a "feature" of ext3 with data=ordered (the default),
but I suspect the same thing is now true in reiserfs too.

Oh, well.. Journalling sucks.

I was actually _really_ hoping that somebody would come along and tell everybody that this whole journal-logging is stupid, and that it's just better to not ever re-write blocks on disk, but instead write to new blocks with version numbers (and not re-use old blocks until new versions are stable on disk).

That sort of sounds like something NCR used to do in the mainframe days files had generation numbers, and multiple generations of the files were kept around with the
OS automatically removing the older ones.

There was even somebody who did something like that for a PhD thesis, I forget the details (and it apparently died when the thesis was presumably accepted ;).

			Linus

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)