Re: [ext3][kernels >= 2.6.20.7 at least] KDE going comatose when FS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)

On Apr 27 2007 08:18, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>Actually, you don't need to apply the patch - just do
>
>	echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
>	echo 10 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
>
>and say if it seems to improve things. I think those are much saner
>defaults especially for a desktop system (and probably for most servers
>too, for that matter).

Interesting. For my laptop, I have configured like 90 for
dirty_background_ratio and 95 for dirty_ratio. Makes for a nice
delayed write, but I do not do workloads bigger than extracing kernel
tarballs (~250 MB) and coding away on that machine (488 MB RAM) anyway.
Setting it to something like 95, I could probably rm -Rf the kernel
tree again and the disk never gets active because it is all cached.
But if dirty_ratio is lowered, the disk will get active soon.

>Historical note: allowing about half of memory to contain dirty pages made
>more sense back in the days when people had 16-64MB of memory, and a
>single untar of even fairly small projects would otherwise hit the disk.
>But memory sizes have grown *much* more quickly than disk speeds (and
>latency requirements have gone down, not up), so a default that may
>actually have been perfectly fine at some point seems crazy these days..

Jan