Re: patch style checks

Methinks it should do `exit 1' if anything was detected.

[Joel in case you'd not spotted this discussion, your
patchstylecheckemail script was found ...  Also this has produced a
little patch series improving the tool.  Where would you like that sent?]

Heh. It's pretty crude but I've found it useful even as crude as it is. I have been doing library work instead of kernel work for a little more than a year so I haven't been improving it. That said, I'd be happy to see patches as I expect I'll do kernel work again in the future. I had made a project page for it here: http://code.google.com/p/patchstylecheck/

I'll maintain it if people want to send me patches. I also added Andy to the svn commiters list awhile back, so you could bug him as well.

2.6.21-rc7-mm2 appears to contian some 4313 commits in total!!!  Of
these some 886 failed the style check; over 20%.  Obviously some of
these will be false positives, or actually better as they are than made
compliant.  I did have a quick look over a sample of the errors and bad
use of space at the start and end of line, plus overlength lines, and
the lack of spaces round operators seem to be the predominant errors
therein.

Whitespace damage is the predominant one I've seen as well. When I was developing it I fed it a number of lkml patches at random and fixed all the false positives I encountered.