Re: Linux 2.6.21 - something wrong with dmesg.

On Friday 27 April 2007 15:31:37 Sunil Naidu wrote:
> On 4/26/07, Alistair John Strachan <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Don't you need to increase CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT ?
>
> Yep, I need to. But, have to enable the Kernel Debug (DEBUG_KERNEL) to
> increase the value from default 14 value to 15/16. I feel that this
> might increase the kernel size?

>From a quick grep, DEBUG_KERNEL will only increase the kernel size on PARISC
(arch/parisc/mm/init.c), so setting it won't have any adverse affect on your
kernel size (if you disable all the options under it).

> Ummm, is it possible to move CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT under the General
> Setup area? (say, down the Kernel .config support - IKCONFIG).

I agree with this. It's also quite interesting to see that one can enable
DEBUG_KERNEL, increase CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT, and then disable DEBUG_KERNEL,
and the changed value is still used.

I think it should be easier to change this value, as anybody with it set too
low has a useless kernel log buffer and it can make reporting more difficult.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.