Re: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Option (b) would be a bit of an ugly hack.
>
> Which leaves option (c) - unless you have a further option.  So I have
> to say I support Christoph on this, at least as far as the general
> principle is concerned.

We could approximate option (b) by setting a standard page size for the
page cache and set the same page size in SLUB (slub is already boot time
configurable in that respect). That will make large portions of the VM
use the same page order. I can try to add similar controls to the page
cache.

If the page size is set too high for a mount then we use the buffer
head functionality to split the higher order page into pieces of the
appropriate size. That could limit the number of page sizes that we need
to support.

But I think we should first see how well Mel's antifrag work does.