Re: Linux 2.6.21

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:13:08 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I think it could be more interesting if part of the job was doing the
> tools. Tools *are* important. Most of my actual _development_ for the last
> couple of years has been on "git", not the kernel, but I think I was more
> productive that way, so I don't think that's wasted time at all.
>
> So yes, automation would be a good idea, but I don't think bugzilla is it.

<...>

> So I really don't think you can compare to "other projects". They simply
> don't have these issues.

Seems like the bug tracking system needs to be re-evaluated. Perhaps Bugzilla
can be modified to better serve the needs of kernel developers.

There might be alternatives, JIRA (http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/)
for example. I am sure there are others.

Finally, I have over 7 years experience writing various web based systems
(using WebObjects, J2EE and others). I would be quite willing to volunteer my
spare time and experience if this community decides that a custom written
solution (one that would handle email bug submissions/resolutions :) is in
order.

Kind regards,

Marek Wawrzyczny