Re: Back to the future.

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi!

This is basically the loop above, made complex by the fact that we do
not want to have separate partition for snapshot; we just want to
reuse free space in swap partition.

with the size of drives today is it really that bad to require a seperate
partition for this?

Yes. You want uswsusp to work in situations where swsusp worked.

I also don't like the idea of storing this in the swap partition for a
couple of reasons.

1. on many modern linux systems the swap partition is not large enough.

for example, on my boxes with 16G or ram I only allocate 2G of swap
space

WTF? So allocate larger swap partition. You just told me disks are big
enough.

swap partitions are limited to 2G (or at least they were a couple of months ago when I last checked). I also don't want to run the risk of having a box try to _use_ 16G worth of swap. I'd rather have the box hit OOM first.

2. it's too easy for other things to stomp on your swap partition.

  for example: booting from a live CD that finds and uses swap
partitions

That's a feature. If you are booting from live CD, you _want_ to erase
any hibernation image.

why?

it's been stated that doing a std and booting another OS (including windows) is a valid and common useage. saying that if you boot another OS you trash your suspended image doesn't sound reasonable.

David Lang