Re: 2.6.21-rc7-mm2 -- PPC link failure

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Andy Whitcroft wrote:

> > Gcc 3.3 works just fine on other platforms like i386. This is more likely
> > a platform issue. If we disable it then only for <= gcc 3.3 on ppc. If
> > problems crop up with other platforms then we can expand on it.
>
> I was thinking that it would be nasty to have a set of platform
> specific, compiler specific ifdefs in here.  I was more thinking of just
> making this a BUG for all platforms.  This does result in slightly later
> detection but this is a constant mode only, so any bad use of kmalloc()
> would be picked up on first boot in testing always.
>
> I think that would be sufficient and safe even against the worst
> optimiser (none).  Plus much less horrible to look at?

The build time detection is quite important for NUMA since structures keep
growing. I'd like to keep that. In fact I would really like a build time
detection. If a too large kmalloc occurs then the compile should stop at
that point and the kernel should not link at all.

See my patch @ http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=117752927203466&w=2