Re: Linux 2.6.21

On 26/04/07, Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:29:28PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So it's been over two and a half months, and while it's certainly not the
> longest release cycle ever, it still dragged out a bit longer than I'd
> have hoped for and it should have. As usual, I'd like to thank Adrian (and
> the people who jumped on the entries Adrian had) for keeping everybody on
> their toes with the regression list - there's a few entries there still,
> but it got to the point where we didn't even know if they were real
> regressions, and delaying things further just wasn't going to help.

Number of different known regressions compared to 2.6.20 at the time
of the 2.6.21 release:
14

Number of different known regressions compared to 2.6.20 at the time
of the 2.6.21 release that were first reported in March or earlier:
8

Number of different known regressions compared to 2.6.20 at the time
of the 2.6.21 release with patches available at the time of the 2.6.21
release [1]:
3

What I will NOT do:
Waste my time with tracking 2.6.22-rc regressions.

We have an astonishing amount of -rc testers, but obviously not the
developer manpower for handling them.

If we would take "no regressions" seriously, it might take 4 or 5 months
between releases due to the lack of developer manpower for handling
regressions. But that should be considered OK if avoiding regressions
was considered more important than getting as quick as possible to the
next two week regression-merge window.

But releasing with so many known regressions is insulting for the many
people who spent their time testing -rc kernels.

Many people have already said this, but it needs saying again.
You are doing a great job that really helps, both with the regression
lists and the trivial patch monkey stuff. Please keep up the good
work, you are really helping the kernel.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html