Re: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3

On (25/04/07 23:46), Christoph Lameter didst pronounce:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
> > Yeah. IMO anti-fragmentation and defragmentation is the hack, and we
> > should stay away from higher order allocations whenever possible.
>
> Right and we need to create series of other approaches that we then label
> "non-hack" to replace it.

To date, there hasn't been a credible alternative to dealing with
fragmentation. Breaking the 1:1 virtual:physical mapping and defragmenting
would incur a serious performance hit.

> > Hardware is built to handle many small pages efficintly, and I don't
> > understand how it could be an SGI-only issue. Sure, you may have an
> > order of magnitude or more memory than anyone else, but even my lowly
> > desktop _already_ has orders of magnitude more pages than it has TLB
> > entries or cache -- if a workload is cache-nice for me, it probably
> > will be on a 1TB machine as well, and if it is bad for the 1TB machine,
> > it is also bad on mine.
>
> There have been numbers of people that have argued the same point. Just
> because we have developed a way of thinking to defend our traditional 4k
> values does not make them right.
>
> > If this is instead an issue of io path or reclaim efficiency, then it
> > would be really nice to see numbers... but I don't think making these
> > fundamental paths more complex and slower is a nice way to fix it
> > (larger PAGE_SIZE would be, though).
>
> The code paths can stay the same. You can switch CONFIG_LARGE pages off
> if you do not want it and it is as it was.

It may not even need that that much effort. The most stressful use of the
high order allocation paths here require the creation of a filesystem and
is a deliberate action by the user.

> If you would have a look the patches: The code is significantly cleanup
> and easier to read.

It is easier to read all right and may be worth doing anyway.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center