Re: Linux 2.6.21

Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 06:08:06AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

What I will NOT do:
Waste my time with tracking 2.6.22-rc regressions.

I sure hope you don't do this.

Tracking these is tough, and I think you are doing a great job with it.

No release will have no regressions, there's just too many different
combinations of hardware and sometimes people don't have the time to
test to see if their original report is even fixed or not.

And some of them will get fixed with patches coming in the next kernel
release, which will then be tracked down and added to the -stable
releases.

So if you can, please keep it up, if you think it's a thankless job,
here's my hearty thanks for doing this work.  It's really needed and I
really appreciate it.

Fifthed here, Adrian. It could potentially become one of the best things
to happen to the mainline release process (and I believe has already been
worthwhile). Even if it takes a while for people to get on board, or some
regressions slip through. And note, a release with regressions doesn't
make your hard work useless -- you've still got the important who, when,
how, etc. info that can be used in future, and it could serve as a "known
issues for upgraders" document as well.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.