Re: suspend2 merge

Am Mittwoch 25 April 2007 schrieb Romano Giannetti:
> On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 07:23 +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > suspend-to-disk is a workaround for
> >
> >         'suspend-to-ram eats too much power' (plus some details like
> >         being able to replace battery).
>
> ...and let me add 'suspend-to-disk' is a workaround for when s2ram does
> not work for a gazillion interacting reasons (ACPI, vga bios, drm/dri,
> you name it).

Hello Romano,

for me not only. I usually do not put the batteries into my laptops if not
needed cause I read and experienced that I can extend battery life by
that while making sure they are always charged more than 50%. Suspend to
RAM thus wouldn't work at all for me.

I use suspend2 since 2.6.14 cause I never managed to get userspace
software suspend working on my ThinkPad T23 and T42, not even with
standard Debian kernel packages, didn't try the latest ones however,
AFAIR my last try was with one 2.6.18 package. And cause its faster and
the machine is more responsive after resuming than swsusp that I used
upto kernel 2.6.13.

With that 1.5 GB RAM on my T42 suspending to disk with suspend2 takes
quite some time and resuming also, but I didn't optimize it and thus it
saves out almost everything of that:

martin@shambala:~> free -m
Mem:          1518       1219        298          0          0        831
-/+ buffers/cache:        388       1130
Swap:         1908          0       1908

Probably should limit that.

I would like suspend2 getting merged! Its proven technology and just
works, while I couldn't get userspace software suspend to work for me.
Maybe I made a mistake while setting it up, but I think setting it up at
first shouldn't be that complicated than I perceived it to be.

I use suspend2 for our workstations at work, too, and my workstation has a
uptime of more than 43 days with more than 17 successful suspend and
resume cycles.

Regards,