Re: [REPORT] cfs-v4 vs sd-0.44

On Tuesday 24 April 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>* Peter Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > The cases are fundamentally different in behavior, because in the
>> > first case, X hardly consumes the time it would get in any scheme,
>> > while in the second case X really is CPU bound and will happily
>> > consume any CPU time it can get.
>>
>> Which still doesn't justify an elaborate "points" sharing scheme.
>> Whichever way you look at that that's just another way of giving X
>> more CPU bandwidth and there are simpler ways to give X more CPU if it
>> needs it.  However, I think there's something seriously wrong if it
>> needs the -19 nice that I've heard mentioned.
>
>Gene has done some testing under CFS with X reniced to +10 and the
>desktop still worked smoothly for him.

As a data point here, and probably nothing to do with X, but I did manage to
lock it up, solid, reset button time tonight, by wanting 'smart' to get done
with an update session after amanda had started.  I took both smart processes
I could see in htop all the way to -19, but when it was about done about 3
minutes later, everything came to an instant, frozen, reset button required
lockup.  I should have stopped at -17 I guess. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)