Re: ChunkFS - measuring cross-chunk references

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Amit Gud wrote:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>  The other thing which we should consider is that chunkfs really
>  requires a 64-bit inode number space, which means either we only allow

 does it?
 I'd think it needs a "chunk space" number and a 32 bit local inode
 number ;) (same for blocks)

For inodes, yes, either 64-bit inode or some field for the chunk id in which the inode is. But for block numbers, you don't. Because individual chunks manage part of the whole file system in an independent way. They have their block bitmaps starting at an offset. Inode bitmaps, however, remains same.

In that sense, we also can do away without having chunk identifier encoded into inode number and chunkfs would still be fine with it. But we will then loose inode uniqueness property, which could well be OK as it is with other file systems in which inode number is not sufficient for unique identification of an inode.

AG
--
May the source be with you.
http://www.cis.ksu.edu/~gud