Re: [mmc] alternative TI FM MMC/SD driver for 2.6.21-rc7

Hi,

> Finally, tifm_sd module needs to be manually inserted.

By the way, the driver emits custom uevent when the new card is detected. I was going to look at
this some day in the future, but if you want to mess a little with hotplug scripts the issue can
be easily solved.

It would be nice if you to provide a sample script. Unfortunately,
hotplug scripts are distribution specific. And internal knowledge of
your modules is required to write one.

For a typical, non-linux-geek user there are just two states of the device -
available and not available. Ububtu is famous for its end-user support.
They ship your driver since linux-2.6.17. But they pack it in one module.
And that is _much_ easier, then a hotplug script.

And maybe, you would care to create a branch in you repository for
in-the-tree compiles.

As I already said before, many of the complications exist because this is  an universal adapter,
and memorystick support is quite near in the queue.

The scope of your project is exceptionally wide. You plan to develop a whole
new layer for memorystick as a part.

At the same time, the [tifm_sd] code is device specific, and [tifm_7xx1]
code is also device specific. And both modules depend on the same device
(of family of devices). That makes me think that a bus/controller/slot
construction is not going to make thing any easier, but adds complexity.

In case of MMC/SD all abstraction has already been separated by the mmc
layer, in case of MS it is up to you, how to implement.