Re: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot

Robert Hancock wrote:
> Tejun Heo wrote:
>> This really isn't a regression.  It's been always like that with libata.
>>  libata doesn't make devices go into standby mode and shutdown(8) does
>> it for libata.  The problem here is that libata does issue
>> SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE on shutdown.  So, the sequence of event is...
>>
>> 1. shutdown(8) issues SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE followed by STANDBY_NOW
>
> This part is presumably distribution dependent. I have never seen Fedora
> or CentOS shut down drives on power down from the shutdown script/utility..

Some distro shutdown scripts must be doing "halt -h" at shutdown time.

-n : don't sync cache (default is to sync)
-h : put harddrives in standby (default is no standby)

And BTW not put them in sleep instead of standby (whether it's
the halt program or the kernel?) They won't wake up from that
until they're reset.