Re: Disabling x86 System Management Mode

Andrew Shewmaker wrote:

John Sigler wrote:

Andi Kleen wrote:

There are usually chipset specific bits that can be set to disable
SMMs. See the datasheet if you can get them. Unfortunately most
chipset vendors don't give out data sheets easily.

I managed to find the south bridge data sheet.

http://linux.kernel.free.fr/VT82C686B.pdf

(I'm still looking for the north bridge data sheet.)

The LinuxBIOS folks had a thread on SMM recently.  You don't have to
worry about SMM if you can use their stuff.

Unfortunately, LinuxBIOS is not a viable option at this point.
I have to live with this proprietary BIOS.

Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG
EBC-2000 REV: A1.3
02/12/2004-694X-686-6A6LJXA9C-00

Regards.