Re: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot

Tejun Heo wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:
Not that simple. Most disks don't spin up on SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE if its cache is clean. Sadly some disks actually spin up when it receives spin down command while spun down to immediately spin down again, so we would be fixing problem for some number of disks while breaking others. :-(

Snoop the last command sent to the drive, that tells you if you can skip
the cache flush ?

Thought about that and querying power state before doing shutdown sequence but things get somewhat ugly because shutdown sequence is driven from sd->shutdown(). We'll have to snoop both sync and shutdown commands and check whether the system is shutting down. Also, I felt very uneasy about faking successful completion to SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE.

I dunno. It's already too late for 2.6.21. I was hoping we could get distros to update shutdown utilities in not-too-distant future but I have no experience with that. Is that just a wishful thinking?

FWIW, the the following message describes the proposed solution.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.scsi/30487/focus=17392

--
tejun