Re: [patch] CFS (Completely Fair Scheduler), v2

On Tuesday 17 April 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>* Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> This one (v2-rc2) is not a keeper I'm sorry to say, Ingo.  v2-rc0 was
>> much better.  Watching amanda run with htop, kmails composer is being
>> subjected to 5 to 10 second pauses, and htop says that gzip -best
>> isn't getting more that 15% of the cpu, and the /amandatapes drive is
>> being written to in a regular pattern that seems to be the cause of
>> the pauses according to gkrellm, which also seems to track the size of
>> the writes, and can show anything from 4.3k to 54 megs as being
>> written in one cycle of its screen update.
>
>ok - fortunately the delta between -v2-rc0 and -v2-final is pretty
>small. One difference is the child-runs-first fix. To restore the
>parent-runs-first logic, do this:

I'm running 21-rc7-CFS-v2-rc0.1 now.

>	echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_child_runs_first

This is currently a 1.  Reset to 0 by the above.

>does this make any difference?

Hard to tell, not much running except fetchmail/procmail and this composer.

>If not then pretty much the only other change was the nice level tweak i
>did. Could you try to grab a few snapshots of scheduling state via
>something like:
>
>   while sleep 1; do cat /proc/sched_debug >> to-ingo.txt; done
The crf1.txt is with it=1, the cfr0.txt is with it zeroed.

>(and tell me the PID of the kmail composer, to make sure i'm checking
>the right task's behavior.)

And I let the crf0 version run longer as I was looking for the composer's pid,
but htop (or I) can't see it.  Even a ps -e isn't seeing it!  But its
running, I'm actively typing in it.  So you get 3 files, the third one called
ps-e.txt, in private mail.  I thought it was called composer, I really did.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)