Re: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot

2007/4/17, Chuck Ebbert <[email protected]>:
Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Apr 15 2007 12:53, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:
>>> How common are notebooks that cut power to disks during reboot?
>> Assuming it also does this when running Windows, I'd report it as a grave
>> bug to the vendor and demand it to be fixed, or the machine to be exchanged
>> with another model that doesn't have this defect.
>
> Given that it does not happen on Windows (IIRC Chuck's post),
> then just what is Windows [not] doing that Linux does?

It looks like there are two problems here:

(1) Some notebooks power off and back on when restarting.
    Both Linux and other OS handle that badly because they
    assume power is not interrupted on reboot. The noise
    emitted is relatively loud.

I'm affected by this problem, hp nx7400 + Seagate Momentus 5400.3 160gb SATA

When "drive spins down, acpi_power_off is written on the console, the
drive spins up again, and 3-4 seconds later the notebook is powered
off, leaving disk heads not parked I think.

I've not tried any new kernel or patches. I'm using stock debian Etch
kernel 2.6.18-5-686.