Re: ZFS with Linux: An Open Plea

On 15/04/07,  Jesper Juhl <[email protected]> wrote:
On 14/04/07, David R. Litwin <[email protected]> wrote:
Before I go on, let me appologise. I don't really know what I hope to
accomplish, beyond trying to garner thoughts (and support?) for the topic.

Essentially: I want to use Linux and ZFS. I don't particularly care about
licences or any of the rest of that nonsense.

The license that protects the code we write is far from nonsense.

I know. In the end, this is the reason this topic is being discussed.

I suggest the first thing you do is contact the ZFS developers and
convince them to release their code under a license that's GPL
compatible, then we can start looking at a Linux port.

I began by contacting them. One of the devs there told me to contact the Linux devs.

FUSE is nice for trying out new and interresting ideas in userspace -
it has its uses.

Yes, but it is not really for the end-user. To paraphrase another, it is mostly academic.

What are the thoughts of the Linux community?

Can't tell you that, all I can tell you is my own oppinion.

You make up a member of the Linux community.

I believe
ZFS for Linux would be interresting, if not for any other reason then
for compatibility.

For the greater glory of Linux? :-)

I'd personally like to see it - but, settle the
license issue first.

And we've come full circle: The liconsinc issue.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

--