floppy.ko

Greetings everybody;

At some point in the last, say 6 months or so, some patches have been done to
the floppy.c area of the tree, and ever since, I have not been able to build
the driver in without wasting around a minute during the bootup with lags and
squawks about fd1 showing up in the boot trace on screen, but if I go look,
its fd0 that's being pounded on by the driver, mainly bitching about not
being able to read the first sector, something it repeats several times, like
4 or 5.

I have the usual fd0, a 3.5" 1.44 drive, and fd1, a 5.25" 720k drive in this
machine, both are enabled in the bios with the correct types being set there.

If I insert a disk, and attempt to mount it, the correct lights come on
according to what I typed, but I have had a hell of a time trying to get it
to write good images of a legacy machines disk format using dd, from files
that I can read with khexedit, and I know are correct from that inspection.

The only use its getting these days is in the coco/os9 formats, read and
written only by dd and some specialty tools from an os9 kit called toolshed,
AFAIK.

Built as a module, then modprobed for use, I don't recall seeing this problem.

Is this fixable, or is it that I just don't know how to handle this newer
code?

The currently running kernel, 2.6.21-rc7-CFS-v2 has it built in and it gave me
static while booting with no disk in either drive.  Naming fd1, while banging
on fd0 according to the access leds on the drives.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)