Re: [linux-usb-devel] How should an exit routine wait for release() callbacks?

Ah, just found this original thread, now Cornelia's patches make more
sense...

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 11:24:58AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> Tejun, it just occurred to me that you would be interested in this email
> thread.  Just to bring you up to speed, here's the original question:
>
> > I've got a module which registers a struct device.  (It represents a
> > virtual device, not a real one, but that doesn't matter.)

Wait, that's the issue right there.

Don't do that.

devices should be created by busses or the platform core, which owns the
release function for them.  Individual drivers should not create
devices.

Hm, but then, how would you ever unload a bus, as the same issue might
be there too...

Any specific code in the kernel you can point to that has this issue
today?

thanks,

greg k-h