Re: ZFS with Linux: An Open Plea

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
>> Unfortunatelle Latency is critical for a number of critical applications
>> like databases or file based transaction systems (mail, news) - mainly the
>> users of fsync().
>
> Whether you mix audio in userspace or kernel does not impact latency -
> you still need to schedule the application playing audio every N
> milliseconds or there will be dropouts.  I don't see where audio
> mixing issue has any relevance to this thread.

Well, I was not talking about Audio - I was saying that there are a class of
applications which need low latency on commits (fsync or rename).

And for the audio mixer, the problem is that you have multiple reschedules
and data ping pong if you do user mode mixing - i guess.

Anyway.. not important. I still think filesystem servers can be a good
thing. And I really hope we will find some interesting numbers on ZFS
advantages...

Gruss
Bernd