Re: Performance Stats: Kernel patch

Eric Dumazet wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:59:16 +0400
Maxim Uvarov <[email protected]> wrote:

Patch adds Process Performance Statistics.
It make available to the user the following new per-process (thread) performance statistics:
   * Involuntary Context Switches
   * Voluntary Context Switches
   * Number of system calls
This data is useful for detecting hyperactivity patterns between processes.

Your description is not very clear about the semantic of your stats.

You currently returns stats only for thread(s) (not process as you claimed)
I'm not sure if you were confused by his use of thread in parenthesis, but isn't the whole point of this to see which threads are doing what? Or am I misreading his result as intentional?
Please check kernel/sys.c:k_getrusage() to see how getrusage() has to sum *lot* of individual fields to get precise process numbers (even counting stats for dead threads)

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc