Re: [RFC, PATCH 1/3] gpiodev - API definitions

it looks ok, but I have several questions:

1. why should we bind this to platform_device, what if the gpio device
is not actually a "platform_device", say, a I2C device, a SPI device or
even a USB device?

2. I still doubt the benefit of using of a structure for a gpio, isn't a gpio
number not enough?

3. If one is going to use a GPIO, he has to initialize a "struct gpio"
before that, how is he suppose to know the value for "gpio->gpio_dev"?

4. how can we optimize to a direct register access instruction (e.g.
to GPDR in PXA) for bit-banging operation (pardon me, I don't exactly
remember the name for such operation, maybe bit-banging)